How long will it take to process my tax return?

If a return is e-filed, it generally takes six to eight days depending on how backed up Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is. If a return is paper filed, allow six to eight weeks for processing.

Can I claim an Eligible Dependant if I am married?

You may be able to claim this amount for one other person if at any time in the year you met all of the following conditions at once:

  • You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if you did, you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by that person.
  • You supported a dependant in 2016.
  • You lived with the dependant (in most cases in Canada) in a home you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.

In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant must also have been either:

  • Your parent or grandparent by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption; or
  • Your child, grandchild, brother, or sister, by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption and under 18 years of age or had an impairment in physical or mental functions.


Your dependant may live away from home while attending school. If the dependant ordinarily lived with you when not in school, we consider that dependant to live with you for the purposes of this amount.

For the purposes of this claim, your child is not required to have lived in Canada but still must have lived with you. This would be possible, for example, if you were a deemed resident living in another country with your child.

Even if all of the conditions have been met to claim the amount for an eligible dependant, you cannot claim this amount if any of the following apply:

  • You or someone else is claiming a spouse or common-law partner amount (line 303) for this dependant.
  • The person for whom you want to claim this amount is your common-law partner. However, you may be able to claim the amount on line 303.
  • Someone else is claiming an amount on line 305 for this dependant. If you and another person can both claim this amount for the same dependant (such as shared custody of a child) but cannot agree who will claim the amount, neither of you can make the claim.
  • Someone else in your household is making this claim. Each household is allowed only one claim for this amount, even if there is more than one dependant in the household.
  • The claim is for a child for whom you had to make support payments for 2016. However, if you were separated from your spouse or common-law partner for only part of 2016 because of a breakdown in your relationship, you may be able to claim an amount for that child on line 305 (plus any allowable amounts on lines 315 and 318) if you do not claim any support amounts paid to your spouse or common-law partner on line 220 of your return. You can claim whichever is better for you.

How do I claim Employment Expenses?

You need to have your employer fill out form T2200 – Declaration of Employment Expenses.

Can I claim my prescription costs?

Yes, provided they total at least 3% of your income. You can also include dental, physical therapy, chiropractor, eyeglasses (lenses only) and eye exams. Vitamins and herbs that were purchased from a health food store are not eligible unless they were prescribed by a qualified medical practitioner and recorded by a pharmacist. You can claim eligible medical for expenses for your dependants, as well as for yourself and your spouse. Usually the spouse with the lower income claims the expenses.

I’ve recently moved, can I claim my moving expenses?

Moving expenses can be claimed only when you have moved for your employment by filling out form T1-M Moving Expenses Deduction. If you were reimbursed or given an allowance that is not included in your income you must deduct the amount that you received. You must have moved at least 40 kms closer to your place of employment. You may also claim moving expenses if you were a student that moved to attend a post-secondary educational institution (full-time students). You can read more about the moving expense deduction here or call 1-800-959-8281.

Who qualifies for the Northern Residents Deduction?

You can check to see if you live in a prescribed zone here.

Should I bring in my Notice of Assessment?

Yes, this helps us with the RRSP contributions on your current year tax return as well as any carry forward numbers for deductions such as tuition etc.

Do I have to claim the child support that was paid to me?

The tax rules that apply to child support changed on May 1, 1997. Under the current tax treatment, receiving parents do not include child support payments as income and paying parents do not claim child support payments as a deduction.

These changes do not automatically apply to child support orders and agreements made before May 1, 1997. But, if both parents agree to apply the current tax treatment to their existing child support amount, they may file Form T1157, Election for Child Support Payment with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This form states that, by joint agreement, both parents want the new tax treatment to apply to their existing child support amount.

If parents send this form to the CRA, they can avoid the court process, since the face value of the order does not change. Once parents sign the form and submit it to the CRA, the current tax treatment applies, and they cannot return to the previous tax treatment.

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.